Contest Deadline: Poems and entry forms must be received by Sunday, October 25, 2020.
Prizes: Prizes will be awarded in K-2nd; 3rd-5th and 6th-8th grade categories.
The First Place winners in each category of the Princeton Local Section’s Illustrated Poem Contest will advance to the National Illustrated Poem Contest for a chance to be featured on the ACS website and to win prizes!
Write and illustrate a poem using the NCW theme “Sticking with Chemistry”. To be considered, your poem must be no more than 40 words and in one of the following styles: HAIKU – LIMERICK – ODE – ABC POEM – FREE VERSE – END RHYME – BLANK VERSE. Possible topics related to the theme include: Glue, Slime, Tape, Adhesives ,Geckos, Polymers, Adhesion, Cohesion
Entries will be based on:
- Artistic Merit – use of color, quality of drawing, design, and layout
- Poem Message – fun, motivational, inspiring about yearly theme
- Originality Creativity – unique, clever and/or creative design
- Neatness – free of spelling and grammatical errors
NOTE: The contest rules have been updated to include digitally created art and digital submissions. Please read the following rules carefully.
- All poems must be no more than 40 words, and in one of the following styles to be considered: Haiku, Limerick, Ode, ABC poem, Free verse, End rhyme, and Blank verse.
- Entries are judged based upon relevance to and incorporation of the yearly NCW theme (Sticking with Chemistry), word choice and imagery, colorful artwork, adherence to poem style, originality and creativity, and overall presentation.
- All entries must be original works without aid from others. Physical drawings may be scanned or captured via camera and submitted to the online form. Illustrations may be created using crayons, watercolors, other types of paint, colored pencils, or markers.
- The illustration may also be electronically created by using a digital painting and drawing app on a computer, tablet, or mobile device. If the illustration is created using a digital painting or drawing app, the name of the program must be included on the entry form.
- The text of the poem should be easy to read and may be typed before the hand-drawn or digital illustration is added, or the poem may be written on lined paper, which is cut out and pasted onto the unlined paper with the illustration.
- No clipart or unoriginal images can be used.
- Only one entry per student will be accepted.
- Students must be sponsored by a school or another sponsoring group (e.g. Homeschool Association, Boys and Girls Club, Scout Troop, 4-H, etc.).
- All illustrated poems and/or digital representations of the poems become the property of the American Chemical Society.
- Acceptance of prizes constitutes consent to use winners’ names, likenesses, and entries for editorial, advertising, and publicity purposes.
To submit your poems, use the relevant Poem Contest Entry Forms below: When prompted, use 08540 to locate the PACS NCW Coordinator.
- Poem Contest Entry Form Grade-2nd https://fs10.formsite.com/ACS_Outreach/poems_k-2/index.html
- Poem Contest Entry Form Grade 3rd-5th https://fs10.formsite.com/ACS_Outreach/poems_3-5/index.html
- Poem Contest Entry Form Grade 6th-8th https://fs10.formsite.com/ACS_Outreach/poems_6-8/index.html
If you have any questions send email to louise.lawter@gmail..com